False Dream in Islam
There are seven types of false dreams.
- Confused dreams: dreams which are caused by distress, exaggerated hopes, and personal thoughts.
- The second type represent sexual dreams that require one to take a ritual ablution (ghusul) if they end in ejection of semen and they have no interpretation.
- The third type represent warnings by Satan or scary dreams where they end in a no-win situation.
- The fourth type represent dreams that are driven by the sorcery of jinn spirits, or their illusions, and they are judged as vain.
- The fifth type is a dream which is shown by satan, and this type is not considered to be a dream.
- The sixth type is driven by one's own mind and desire when they are confused or under stress.
- The seventh type of false dream is one which is caused by pain and suffering from a physical ailment.
True dream in Islam
The 5 types of true dream in Islam
- A clear vision of a truthful person that takes place exactly as seen in one's dream. This is the type which is considered to represent one of forty-six branches of a prophecy, including the dream of God's Prophet (uwbp) entering Mecca or the dream of God's prophet Abraham sacrificing his son, etcetera. A dream interpreter once said: "Blessed is he who sees a true dream, for they come directly from God Almighty and without an intermediary."
- The second category includes a direct warning or a reprimand from God Almighty. God's Prophet (uwbp) once said: "The best of dreams are the ones where you see your Lord, or your prophet, or your Muslim parents." Someone asked: "0 Messenger of God, can one see his Lord?"He replied: "The king represents God, and God is the king in one's dream."
- The third category is a dream that is shown to you by the angel of dreams, and his name is Siddiqun. This blessed angel may come into one's dream and, by God's leave, reveal some of what God Almighty taught him or made known to him from what is written in the Preserved Tablet. God Almighty also has taught him to give parables and how to tell stories one can understand.
- The fourth category represent dreams of allegories, apotheosis, or symbols one can decipher. This type comes through good spirits or blessed souls, such as if an angel comes and says: "Your wife wants to poison you at the hand of your friend so-and-so." In this case, the angel or the blessed soul has indirectly indicated that one's friend is having a secret affair with one's wife,for adultery requires a covert scheme, and poison connotes disguise.
- The fifth category of true dreams is one that includes a true witness. In it, such a witness will manifest a prevailing presence in the dream, such as seeing oneself beating a drum, or playing a string instrument inside a mosque or a place of worship.